Thursday, December 24, 2009

Spicy Peanut Sauce²



So what would Fresh Wraps be without a really good peanut sauce? I have two that I use. One is easy and quick, the other a little more complicated. Both are very yummy and versatile…so without further introduction, here they are.

This first recipe I got from Auntie May who say’s this is how they do it in Thailand. It's fairly uncomplicated, and perfect for the dump cook as it doesn’t have precise measurements. Feel free to experiment with the proportions as all are approximate...just keep tasting until you get it how you like it.


Thai Spicy Peanut Sauce

1 tsp Thai red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup peanut butter
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp salt (or to taste)


Sauté the curry paste for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, sugar, peanut butter and salt. Stir constantly until thickened slightly (burns easily). It will thicken up more as it cools. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!

*********************************************

The second recipe I have for you was adapted from a recipe I found on epicurious.com. It’s a little more complicated, has a proper ingredient list, and is quite tasty. Serve it with fresh wraps, over chicken and rice, on noodles or as a dressing for spinach salad.

Spicy Peanut Sauce

2 Tbs vegetable oil
3-4 scallions, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 Tbs gingerroot, grated fine
1 cup water
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup distilled white vinegar
3 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
¼ tsp dried hot red pepper flakes, Thai preferably if you have them

In a saucepan heat oil with garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add scallions and cook additional minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth and thickened.
Serve warm or chilled. It will also keep in the refigerator for 3 days if you want to make it in advance.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alisa,
    I see that you asked me for my son's curry recipe on my homestead blog. I honestly don't have a recipe for that but I'll give you the general idea and you can play around with it if you want to make it just right. I spent a years worth of time in India and some of my favorite flavours were peanut and coconut added to curry. So, I take a couple of 16 oz cans of garbanzo beans. Add some sort of frozen or fresh greens (green beans, chopped kale, spinich, whatever you like) I add a couple of heeping Tbs. of peanut butter, a can of coconut milk or a chunck of coconut cream.
    I also add curry pwd. to taste, and a sauteed onion and about 3 cloves of garlic. Then salt to taste and sometimes I add some lemon for some tang. It is so easy and simple to throw together in a hurry. And so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...